Students who have applied to the nursing program on or before April 1st will receive preferential consideration for the August start
Step 1: Apply to Northeastern Junior College (NJC) for general college admission. Upon completion of admission you will obtain your Student number. (Example S01234567). If you already have an S number from another Colorado Community College System (CCCS) school, you are still required to apply to Northeastern Junior College.
Step 2: Before registering for courses at NJC you need to show readiness for college course work in reading, math and English. A Placement test, ACT scores or comparable course work can be used. Study guides for Placement Tests can be found here. Call the counseling office to set up an appointment for the placement test 970-521-6663. Cost of the placement test is $35.00
Step 3: Complete the required pre-admission courses (Pre-Requisites Courses) & General Education courses with a grade of C or higher for each course and a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher for the listed courses. A higher GPA will receive a higher admission score. The science courses must be completed within seven years of the start date of the program.
Please note: After consulting with an advisor students may sign a waiver to not take BIO 111 College Biology or BIO 104 A Human Approach before taking BIO 201, BIO 202, and BIO 204 .
Required Pre-Admission Courses (Pre-requisite Courses):
- ENG 121 English Composition I (3 credits)
- HPR 108 Dietary Nutrition (1 credit) or HWE 100 Human Nutrition (3 credits
- BIO 201 Anatomy & Physiology I (4 credits)
- BIO 202 Anatomy & Physiology II (4 credits)
- PSY 235 Human Growth & Development (3 credits)
- BIO 204 Microbiology (4 credits)
- BIO 216 Pathophysiology (4 credits)
- MAT 103 Math for Clinical Calculations or higher level math course (3 credits)
- 3 credit elective in social science (any 3 credit course listed in the college catalog under Social and Behavioral Sciences to include the categories in History, Economics and Political Systems, Geography, Human Behavior & Social Science or any guarantee transfer courses (GT) in Arts and Humanities. GT courses have the + symbol in front of the course listing)
Don't know your GPA? Learn how to figure your GPA here.
Step 4: Must complete NUR 189 Transition from LPN to Associate Degree Nursing. This class can be completed at any community college.
Step 5: Take the Kaplan Nursing Admissions Exam (it must be completed within 1 year of the start of the program and can only be taken 1 time per year). Call the NJC counseling office at 970-521-6663 for testing dates, and to schedule an appointment. Study Guides are available in the Monahan Library and the Counseling Office. Cost of Kaplan Nursing admission exam is $35.
Step 6: After completion of the pre-requisite courses, general education courses, NUR 189, and the Kaplan Nursing Admissions Exam you may apply to the NJC Nursing program. You will complete the online application when you choose the application links below.
Step 7: Have official transcripts for the required pre-requisite and general education courses and NUR189 completed at other colleges or universities sent to Northeastern Junior College at 100 College Ave., Sterling, CO 80751.
Step 8: You will receive an email confirmation of the receipt of your application
Step 9: The Nursing Department will mail you the Student Screening Survey to complete in April after reviewing your transcripts and confirming all requirements have been met.
Step 10: Have all of the following submitted to NJC or to the Nursing Office by the Admission Deadline. Students who have applied to the nursing program on or before April 1st will receive preferential consideration for the August start. (Admission Criteria )
- College Application
- Nursing Program on-line application
- Official transcripts for all courses transferred from colleges other than NJC Students who request to transfer NUR courses from another CCCS college must meet the following criteria:
• NUR course grades from other CCCS colleges must be a “C” or higher
• Complete a Kaplan competency exam at NJC on content from NUR course and score in the 65th Percentile
- All pre-requisite courses and general education courses completed with a Grade Point Average of 2.5 or higher
- Proof of Placement test, ACT scores or comparable course work to show Math and Reading at college level
- Kaplan Nursing Admission Exam
- Proof of LPN licensure in good standing:
- LPN graduation of 3 years prior, need documentation of 1,000 hours of work experience as a LPN or successful completion of a refresher course approved by the Colorado Council of Nurse Educators or the equivalent thereof (nursing course work specified by the accepting institution)
-LPN graduation of 10 plus years prior needs to meet the criteria for 3 years prior and testing of competency is required.
Step 11: Students who have completed all of the admission criteria will be evaluated and selected based on the total points earned from the Student Screening Survey. Students will be admitted provisionally until the following have been completed:
- Satisfactory Criminal Background Check (Not to be done any earlier than 90 days of start date of program) View Disqualifying offenses
- Satisfactory completed Health statement/immunizations
- Negative drug screen
- Professional CPR Certificate (Certificate must last for the entire 2 year program)
Applying for the Nursing Program
You must certify that you have read, understood and complied with the above steps before submitting the application.