Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

What are the types of Financial Aid offered and what do I do next?

I received my Award Letter. Now what?

Your award letter will list the types of Grants and Loans you have available. You must accept or decline the loan amounts you have been awarded. Pell Grant, FSEOG, and/or Colorado Student Grant will be accepted automatically as long as you are enrolled in the required courses for your degree program. Work-Study is not awarded automatically and you must apply for work-study positions at our work-study web page.

Course Program of Study (CPoS)

CPoS is a federal regulation that requires federal financial aid to pay towards only the courses that are required for the students' selected degree program.  If you are enrolled in courses that do not count towards your degree, you will be responsible for those course costs. While we make every effort to ensure your financial aid is correctly applied at the time of disbursement, there may be instances where we are required by the U.S. Department of Education to review and make corrections to your financial aid. If financial aid has paid toward courses that are not part of your degree program, we are federally required to return that aid which may result in a balance due for you. If this happens, you will be notified by our office. The easiest way to determine whether your courses are part of your degree program is by reviewing Degree Check through your NJC Student Access Portal. The courses marked as 'Counts towards degree' are eligible for financial aid. You must work with your academic advisor to determine your degree plan. Students must have their degree selected by the semester Census Date (last date to drop a course).   

Work Study

If you would like to be considered for a work study position, you must complete a FAFSA and apply for a position by clicking the button below.

Work Study Positions

Federal (FWS) and State (CWS) Need-Based Work Study

We participate in two work study programs with award amounts based on the students documented need. These programs provide part-time employment for the eligible student to earn money to fund their education. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits/term to be eligible for work-study.

Work study positions are located on campus and students' earnings are restricted to the amount of their award.

Colorado No-Need Work Study Program (CONN)

The State of Colorado provides limited funds for employment of students who do not necessarily have a financial need. Applicants must be Colorado residents for tuition purposes. Students' earnings are restricted to the amount of their award. 

Estimated Awards

Allotment per year Up to $3,750
Hourly Rate (Average) $13.65- $14.65
Hours Worked 10/week


Grants are considered gift assistance and are provided from Federal, state, and institutional sources.  In general, students must be enrolled full-time to receive the maximum grant amount awarded.  The grant amounts generally pro-rate down based on the student's actual enrollment.

The following grant programs are available at NJC.

Federal Pell Grant (PELL) Program

This program is designed for undergraduate students who do not have a bachelor's or professional degree. The U.S. Congress determines the amount of the Federal Pell Grant.

To apply for a Federal Pell Grant, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This can be done on-line through FAFSA on the Web. To determine an applicant's eligibility, the U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula, established by the U.S. Congress, to evaluate the information reported on the FAFSA. This formula produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. The applicant will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) that informs the applicant of the EFC and whether or not they are eligible for the Pell Grant. The amount of the Pell Grant is determined by the EFC, cost of attendance and the number of credit hours for which the student enrolls. We will credit the Pell Grant to the student's account.

Federal Supplemental Opportunity Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) Program

This program is for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need, that is, students with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and gives priority to students who receive Federal Pell Grants. Student must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours each semester to receive this grant. Priority is given to students who have completed their FAFSA by March 1. To be considered students must complete the FAFSA by March 1. There is no guarantee that every eligible student will be able to receive the FSEOG; students are awarded on a "first-come, first-served" basis and on the availability of funds.  If a student receives the FSEOG, the funds will be credited to their student account.

Colorado Student Grant (CSG) Program

This program is funded by the State of Colorado General Assembly. The primary purpose of this grant is to provide financial resources to Colorado resident undergraduate students who would otherwise be unable to pursue post secondary education. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) to receive CSG. 

Colorado Career & Technical Education (CTE) Grant Program

This program is for undergraduate students who are enrolled in an eligible short-certificate program (certificates less than 15 credits). This grant provides assistance to students enrolled in CTE Certificate programs that are not eligible for Federal Title IV aid. Students must submit an application provided by the financial aid office, and must provide documentation of financial need. This grant may apply towards the certificate tuition, fees, and book costs, and the maximum amount of the award is $2,250. 

Estimated Awards

Name of Grant Min to Max/year (if eligible)
Federal Pell Grant $346-$6,895
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant $200-$4,000
Colorado Student Grant $500-$5,000
Colorado CTE Grant $100-$2,250

Loan Programs

Student loans are available to help offset educational expenses for the specific academic period. Borrowing through student loans should be your last alternative. You should exhaust all other resources of financial assistance, including scholarships, state grants, and campus student employment before applying for a student loan. Applying for a student loan too early may limit or exclude you from receiving grants/scholarships.

We participate in the William D. Ford Direct Stafford Loan Program, which means all funds are borrowed directly from the government. This loan program includes the Federal Direct Stafford loan (Subsidized and Unsubsidized), and the Federal Direct PLUS loan. Stafford loan funds can be used for education-related expenses such as tuition, fees, books, living costs, transportation, childcare, etc. These loans must be repaid either after the student has graduated or stopped attending classes as a half time student (6 credits).

To be eligible for these loans you must:

  • Have a completed financial aid file
  • Be enrolled in a degree program or certificate program
  • Be attending at least half-time (six credit hours minimum) for the entire loan period
  • Not be in default on any type of student loan
  • Not owe a repayment on a federal student grant
  • Be in compliance with the Northeastern Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress Policy (if not, you must complete an appeal form.)
  • Loan Borrowers must complete the Loan Entrance Counseling as well as sign a Master Promissory note at the Federal Student Aid website.

Subsidized Loans: are interest-free while you are enrolled in school at least half-time in a degree seeking program. This loan is available to students who have demonstrated financial need. Loan payments begin six months after you complete your degree or drop below half-time.

Unsubsidized Loans:  accrue interest while the student is enrolled in school and during the repayment period. This loan is not based on financial need. Loan payments begin six months after you complete your degree or drop below half-time.

Parent Plus Loans:  are for the parents of dependent students.  Parents may borrow up to the cost of attendance per child (minus other aid). Repayment typically begins sixty days after the final disbursement for the period of enrollment for which you borrowed, or may be deferred until the student graduates or stops attending.  Plus loans are usually less expensive than private student loans. Plus loans are based on a credit check, if it is denied the student usually becomes eligible to borrow up to $4,000 in additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loans. This additional Stafford loan cannot exceed the student’s Cost of Attendance minus all other aid (including other loans).

To apply for a student loan you must have a completed financial aid file at Northeastern. After your financial aid eligibility has been determined, you need to accept your student loan on your Northeastern access account under Student Finance Tab/My Financial Aid/Accept Your Awards/Accept Award Offer. You will then need to complete entrance counseling and a master promissory note at the Student Loans website or your loan will not disburse to your account.

Loans are an effective method to fund your education. However, there are a few things you should consider before borrowing a loan:

When you borrow a loan, you are accepting the responsibility of repaying the loan plus interest. The specific amount of money you borrow is the principal. Interest is a percentage of the principal, which you pay as a fee for borrowing. When it comes time to pay back the principal and interest you usually pay in monthly installments. If you fail to repay (or default) the government may penalize you.

It is your responsibility to know all of the terms and conditions!

Estimated Awards

Name Amount Rate

Federal Subsidized (need based)


Federal Unsubsidized (regardless of need)

$3,500 Freshman
$4,500 Sophomore

$2,000 Dependent(Fresh/Soph)
$6,000 Independent (Fresh/Soph)

3.73% Fixed

3.73% Fixed

Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) Cost of Attendance minus other aid 6.28% Fixed

Student Loan Repayment Services

We have teamed up with Solutions at ECMC to answer all of your student loan repayment questions. Solutions is a service of the non-profit organization ECMC and is dedicated to helping students manage educational loans. Their resources are available to you free of charge. To contact a Solutions Student Loan Repayment Advisor call 1-877-331-3262, or visit them at Solutions at ECMC.

Students can access information about their federal student loans and/or federal grants on the U.S. Department of Education's National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS).  Northeastern also provides the Financial Aid Shopping Sheet to students through the Access NJC student portal.  This sheet offers a breakdown of school costs and offered financial aid & award money.  It also offers detailed school information such as graduation rates, the Cohort Default Rate (CDR), estimated monthly student loan payments and other loan repayment information.  We offer these resources in our effort to reduce our student loan default rate; unfortunately, our current cohort default rate is above the national average.  We encourage all students to meet with one of our financial aid advisors to discuss the responsibilities of taking out a student loan.  


Scholarships are an excellent way to help cover the cost of an education. There are many scholarships available, but you may need to do some research to find them. Your high school counseling center is one source of information. The Colorado Council on High School/College Relations Handbook, local libraries, churches, parent's employer, local service civic organizations, and the Internet are other good services.

Annually we award scholarships to incoming freshmen and many of these are renewable. To be considered for a scholarship, a student must first apply for admission. The admissions and scholarship applications must be submitted by March 1, prior to fall enrollment.  There are also scholarships that may require a separate application, portfolio, personal interview or tryout.

For more information regarding Northeastern's scholarship opportunity please visit our Scholarships page.

Other Resources

Veterans Benefits:

We work with the Veterans Administration to assist in administering the provision of the various programs of educational benefits to veterans or eligible relatives of veterans.  Northeastern is approved by the Colorado State Approving Agency for veterans education, and all of our degree and certificate programs are approved for payment of educational benefits to eligible veterans and dependents.  Veteran education benefits are administered through the financial aid office by the School Certifying Official (SCO).  The primary function of the SCO is to certify and report enrollment information to the VA to facilitate the students' benefit payments.

The Veteran's School Certifying Officials (SCO's) are located in the financial aid office of Hays Student Center.  The SCO's can assist students in utilizing their VA Educational Benefits and/or Military Tuition Assistance.  All SCO's complete yearly online training through the Veteran's Administration, as well as attend yearly training conferences from the Colorado Approving Agency for Veterans Education and the regional VA Education Liaison Representatives.  Our SCO's also serve as financial aid representatives, and are qualified to assist students in obtaining Federal Title IV funding, state funding, scholarships, and other grant or payment options.  Also located in the Hays Student Center are other support services such as academic counseling, job search support, records & transcripts, on-campus housing, and bookstore services.  Our dedicated SCO's will guide students through the process and will assist in connecting them to appropriate services.  Or, please go to our home page to locate a specific department on campus.

Contact the VA Certifying Officials:

Rene Nava, Assistant Director of Financial Aid Ashley Unrein, Director of Financial Aid
970-521-6741 970-521-6751




Military Tuition Assistance

The U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) administers the Military Tuition Assistance Program (TA).  The TA program is available to members of all service branches (Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force) and the U.S. Coast Guard. Members of the National Guard and Reserve Components may be eligible based on their service eligibility.  The TA program will fund up to 100% of the service member's college tuition and certain fees, subject to defined limits. The TA program is separate than the VA education benefit programs administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. However some of the VA education programs, such as the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, can work in conjunction with the TA program and supplement the fees and other school related expenses not covered by TA. To learn more about the VA Educational Program, please visit the GI Bill® websiteTo speak to a military/veteran representative on campus, please contact the VA Certifying Officials listed above. 

It is the service member's responsibility to apply for Tuition Assistance and provide the TA Authorization documents to the Cashier's Office (located in Hays Student Center) prior to the start of each semester.  The service member must receive approval from a military Educational Service Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling in courses;  if no approval is received, the service member may be solely responsible for all tuition costs.  Each branch of service has its own eligibility criteria, procedures, and application forms. To find out how to get started, visit with your branch ESO or military counselor, or click on the link below that pertains to your branch:

Military TA recipients are also eligible to be considered for all other forms of financial aid that is available to all students. Service members are encouraged to apply for Title IV federal student aid, state aid, and scholarships.  Go to our Financial Aid page to learn how to apply for other aid. TA students who are also eligible for the federal Pell grant will have their TA benefits applied towards their account prior to the application of Pell grant funds. TA benefits will be applied to tuition and course-specific fees only, while Pell grant funds can be applied to other allowable educational expenses. If the service members drops his/her courses before the census date (last date to drop a class), Northeastern is required to return all TA funds to the military branch. The TA return policy aligns with the federal student aid return policy, in which any unearned TA funds will be returned on a proportional basis through at least 60% of the period for which the funds were provided. Shall the service member stop attending school due to a military service obligation, Northeastern will work with the student to help prevent any student debt resulting from the returned TA portion. For all unofficial withdrawals/drops, we will attempt to determine the student's last date of class attendance or participation and will use that date for calculating the return of funds. 

% Of Course Completed % Of TA Unearned Funds Returned
16-30% 50%
31-40% 40%
41-50% 30%
51-60% 10%
61-100% 0%

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits:

There may be funding available to assist students in need of vocational/occupational rehabilitation because of physical or emotional handicaps. These funds help to cover the cost of tuition, fees, books, supplies, maintenance, medical services and transportation. You may call your local Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Office.

The Workforce Center (ORJT or JTPA):

There may be funding available to assist students for tuition, fees and books. This office may also help you find additional employment off campus. They are located in the Broadway Shopping Center, 100 Broadway #24. You may set up an appointment by calling 970-522-9340.

Off Campus Employment: 

There are occasions when local employers will post available positions. To see if local employers have notified Northeastern of available positions within the community, please contact the Office of Residence Life, located in the Hays Student Center, 970-521-6600.


Jaci Gerk
Financial Aid Advisor
Hays Student Center
Lauren Montoya
Administrative Assistant II
Hays Student Center
Lauren Montoya
Ashley Unrein
Director - Financial Aid
Hays Student Center
Ashley Unrein

Related News

To keep up with all the news at Northeastern, stay tuned here!

View all news