Students enjoying the culture fair
International Students

Current Students

International Student Information and Resources

Filing Tax Returns in the USA

International students going to school in the United States should file an IRS form 8843 whether you have to file a tax return or not. Forms and tax returns typically must be filed before April 15 each year. Northeastern cannot provide you specific tax advice so you should carefully consider your own situation and determine what tax form to file. The US taxing agency known as "IRS" provides Information for Foreign Students and a publication every year called Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

  • Video for international students on filing taxes
  • If an international student did not receive income in the last calendar year then they would need to file Form 8843.
  • If the international student or scholar did receive income in the last calendar year then they would need to file Form 8843 and most likely Form 1040NR-EZ
  • Dependents (including spouses and children of all ages) are also required to file Form 8843 if they were in the US during the previous calendar year.
  • Sprintax is an online company that can help you file your taxes for a fee.
  • also has a helpful site.


Driver's License Information for International Students

International students will need to make an appointment to take the written driving test with the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

After making an appointment, students will go to the Sterling DMV office, located at 714 W Main St.

  • Phone: 303-205-5600
  • Open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday

The following documents are required:

  1. Passport
  2. Form I-20
  3. Form I-94
  4. Proof of address (must be a first-class mail with your Sterling address: a bank statement, transcript, or your dorm contract)
  5. $16.80 - the cost of the driver's permit

If you pass the written test, you will receive a driver's permit. This will allow you to take the driving test, which you will need to make an appointment for on a different day. Once you pass the driving test, you must pay $80 for your driver's license.


International Student Employment

An F-1 visa student is allowed to work on-campus throughout their time at Northeastern, with the following conditions:

  • Must not exceed 20 hours while school is in session
  • May work on-campus full time during annual vacations
  • May not begin work 30 days prior to start date
  • Must cease work when program ends

A social security card is required to work. Contact the International Student Coordinator for required documents and details.

For more information or for employment opportunities on-campus, please contact the International Student Coordinator, Sarah Stone-Robinson, at


Sarah Stone-Robinson
International Student Coordinator
Hays Student Center-105
Sarah Stone-Robinson