Northeastern Junior College

Transfer Credits to NJC

Transfer Guidelines

The first step to transfer credits to NJC is to apply for admission
When the application has been completed and processed, any NJC student who has attended another college or university must submit his/her previous collegiate record (from ALL other colleges attended) and NJC must receive the transcripts of college credits directly from the institutions previously attended.  Send official transcripts to:
 Northeastern Jr. College
 Records Office
 100 College Avenue
 Sterling, CO  80751

NJC also accepts official transcripts electronically through Parchment and E-Script.   

A student who wishes to transfer to Northeastern Junior College from another college may do so provided he/she has an acceptable academic record and financial aid record from the previous institution(s) and is a student in good standing at the college from which he/she is transferring. 

Credits from Accredited Institutions

The college accepts undergraduate college credits transferred from other regionally accredited institutions of higher education.  When a question exists as to course equivalency or designation, the student will be required to provide a course description from the transfer college at which the course was taken.  These transfer credits will be used to fulfill as many course/program requirements as possible.  Courses for which there are no equivalencies will be treated as electives.

Only transfer credits with passing grades of A, B, C, S (satisfactory) or P (pass) will be evaluated and transcripted.  Courses with a “D” grade will be accepted and transcripted on a case-by-case basis.  Students wishing to have a course with a “D” grade accepted must go to the Student Records Office and fill out the appropriate form.  Transfer credits and grades will not be used in calculating an NJC cumulative GPA. 

If courses were taken on a quarter hour basis rather than a semester hour basis, NJC will convert them to their semester credit hour equivalency and determine if they meet NJC course requirements.  If they do not meet NJC course requirements, a student may have to take additional coursework to fulfill NJC requirements.

Different colleges may offer the same course but for different credit hours.  If a course’s credit hours do not match NJC’s credit hours, NJC will evaluate it to see if they will fulfill certain requirements.  For example, College Algebra may be a three credit course at one college and it is four credits at NJC.  If College Algebra fulfills the student’s graduation requirement for math, NJC will allow that and will waive the other remaining credit of the math requirement.  This will not lower the number of credits needed to graduate.

Please note:  some degree or certificate programs may have more restrictive transfer credit evaluation requirements; please contact the Records Office for more information.

All lower division undergraduate credit hours awarded within the prior ten years will apply towards the completion of the graduation requirements.  Credits more than ten years old will receive careful consideration.  The Registrar, in conjunction with the department chair of the respective academic divisions, reserves the right to examine any course more than ten years old to determine their currency and applicability to existing curriculum and programming before credit is accepted.

If a course was denied, an appeal process exists by contacting the Records Office.
Students wishing to file a complaint with the Colorado Department of Higher Education may do so here. Before exercising the Colorado Department of Higher Education complaint option, students must first follow the appeal procedures at NJC.

Printed from Northeastern Junior College - Sterling, Colorado.
Copyright © 2013 Northeastern Junior College