Students gathering

Admitted Students

Congratulations on your acceptance to Northeastern Junior College! Here you'll find information on what's next.
Northeastern Junior College International Students take photo in front of chalk wall in Hays Student Center on move-in day.

As an international student, you will need an F-1 student visa to enter the United States to study. You will need to apply for the visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate, using the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility form issued by Northeastern Junior College. However, if you are a citizen of Canada, Bermuda, or one of the other islands described in 8 CFR 212.1 (a), you do not need a visa. You may apply directly at the Port of Entry for student (F-1) status.

If you already have F-1 student status...

If you have attended another school in the United States within five months of your start date at NJC, you are considered a transfer student for immigration purposes. To be able to issue you a Northeastern Junior College SEVIS I-20, you will need to contact your foreign student advisor at your previous school and ask that they release your SEVIS student record to NJC, as well as fill out our Transfer-In Form. The I-20 issued to you by NJC will indicate, “Transfer Pending From…”

Failure to report to the International Student Advisor within 15 days of the start date is a violation of your F-1 student visa status.

The Visa Interview

Items which may be required by the embassy or consulate include:

  • Your acceptance letter from Northeastern
  • A passport valid for at least 6 months after your proposed date of entry into the U.S.
  • Your SEVIS form I-20
  • Copies of the financial documents you submitted for admissions purposes to Northeastern
  • Copies of your academic credentials
  • The "SEVIS I-901 fee" receipt (if applicable). If you do not currently have F-1 status, then you will be required to pay the fee. At this time the fee is $350. For more information visit the I-901 website.

If approved, the consular officer will place a visa in your passport. You may use it to enter and reenter the U.S. up to the date of its expiration as long as you have a valid I-20.

After receiving the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility, you must attend Northeastern Junior College for at least one semester.


  • Inform yourself of the business processes in place at the U.S. consulate or embassy where you plan to apply for your visa. You will find this information here. Every visa post sets its own hours, has its own way to schedule visa application appointments, and has its own lead-time for visa applications (typically weeks rather than days).
  • Read the information the U.S. Department of State provides visas here.
  • With a friend or by yourself, practice your visa interview. You will only have 2 or 3 minutes to make your case for the visa, and you should have thought about certain issues in-depth.

Doing all the above will mean that you are ready for your visa application when your Form I-20 arrives.

Once you have your visa and are ready to travel to the U.S., you should make your travel arrangements as soon as possible. The closest airport is Denver International Airport (DIA), about a 2-hour drive away from Sterling. We will have a shuttle available to pick up students in August, and we will contact you soon concerning that date. If your arrival date is different from the day we provide a shuttle, you will need to coordinate transportation to Sterling.

One important fact to remember: You may enter the U.S. in initial F-1 status (meaning you are not a transfer student) up to 30 days before the program start date on your Form I-20. For example, if that date is August 20, 2020, you may enter the U.S. on July 21, 2020 or later.

The last step in the visa process will be to actually enter the U.S., and it involves the inspection at the port of entry. You must carry your documents on your person, not in your luggage. If you have a connecting flight in the U.S. to DIA, you should allow plenty of time between your arrival and connecting flight.

Regardless of where you arrive in the U.S., upon inspection of your documents, you may be sent to “secondary”, which is an additional inspection of your documents. This is often done on a random basis and may have nothing to do with specific circumstances. Generally speaking, it is important that you remain calm during the process.

Health insurance is mandatory and you will need to look for a provider on your own. Northeastern recommends the Student Secure plan through International Student Insurance because it provides comprehensive student health coverage designed for international students at reasonable rates. All international students should purchase either the Budget plan or higher to provide coverage for additional athletic injuries or other illnesses. Student athletes will be required to purchase secondary insurance to cover major athletic injuries. Please contact your coach for more information.

Our campus housing provides a variety of housing options, and each room is furnished with a bed, desk, chair, and a small chest of drawers. You can find information on each of our residence halls here. For the steps to apply for housing and to fill out the application, go here.

Things to bring from home:

  • Important paper documents (passport, form I-20, acceptance letter, health insurance documents). Keep these in the folder you receive with your acceptance packet.
  • Mementos and items of personal significance. It's always nice to have pictures, posters, and other things to remind you of home.
  • Travel adapter. If you're bringing any electronics from home, you may need an adapter for U.S. outlets.
  • Pack a reasonable amount of clothing that will prepare you for our late summer temperatures or winter cold.
  • Essential toiletries and prescriptions. If bringing prescription medications, be sure to have the prescription note and letter from your doctor.
  • Bring at least $300 in cash in order to set up a bank account and to buy dorm supplies. You'll be able to buy bedding, towels, and other supplies once you arrive on campus.

Once you are accepted to Northeastern and receive a student number, you will be connected with a faculty advisor within your degree program who will register you for classes. If you wish to transfer any college or university credits, you must have official transcripts sent to our Office of Records. 

Foreign Credit Transfer Information

Non-U.S. transcripts must go through an evaluation service in order to be considered for transfer or to waive prerequisites. We accept evaluations through any NACES member organization. A list of these organizations can be found at

It is up to the student to select an appropriate evaluation service and to pay whatever fees associated with that evaluation. Costs will vary by service and type of evaluation offered. Northeastern Junior College requires a “course-by-course” or “detailed” evaluation. Credit Official evaluations can be mailed directly to:

Northeastern Junior College

100 College Ave

Sterling, CO, 80751

If transcripts are being delivered in person, they must still be in the sealed envelope from the evaluation service.

Tuition Payments

After being registered for classes, you are obligated to pay your tuition bill. This bill will include:

  • tuition for classes
  • course fees and other general fees (including e-books, if required by instructor)
  • iPad cost (if bought through Northeastern)
  • room and board fees (if living on campus)

The bill does not include:

  • health insurance
  • cost for books and school supplies

There are several payment options available, which you can see on the Cashier page of our website here.


It is the responsibility of the student to buy the required textbooks and supplies for classes. This is not included in your tuition billing statement. Some instructors require books, while others will require e-books. You can buy your textbooks at our campus bookstore, or you can buy or rent them from Amazon or other book-rental websites. College textbooks can be expensive, so be prepared to spend at least $100-$200 each semester.


Northeastern is an iPad college, and it is required for each student to have an iPad when they start classes. You can order directly from Apple or check our Frequently Asked iPad Questions.